Since 1977, the Campus Safety, Health and Environmental Management Association (CSHEMA) has sponsored an annual Scholarship Award Program to encourage the study of safety and environmental management and to promote careers in this field. This scholarship is dedicated to the memory of Dr. Fay Thompson.
The scholarship is open to undergraduate students who:
- Are currently registered as a full-time student in a 4-year degree-granting course of study in an institution of higher education in North America
- Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 and at least one full year of study remaining in their degree program
- Are enrolled in majors geared toward an Environmental Health & Safety career (such as, but not limited to, Environmental Science, Fire Protection, Health Physics, Industrial Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health, Safety, etc.)
- Complete the application form and submit all required documentation.
Application Requirements and Process
To be considered for the award, students must meet the following requirements:
- Meet the above eligibility criteria
- Complete the application form
- Submit a current transcript with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5
- Write and submit a one-page essay (1” margins, single-spaced, 10 point font) relevant to the essay prompt. References and/or citations may be included on a separate page.
Each application will be evaluated based on the applicant’s eligibility, submission of required information, and essay composition. The evaluation form will be released when the application window is open.
One scholarship for $3,000 will be awarded to the qualifying applicant who submits the winning essay. The scholarship will be presented or announced at the CSHEMA Annual Conference in July. The winner will receive an invitation to attend the CSHEMA Annual Conference, with the cost of attendance (registration, hotel, and airfare) covered by CSHEMA.